Harper named Big South Player of the Week | Sports & Recreation
Last week was a good one for the Gardner-Webb men's basketball team as they picked up 2 big road wins. One of the reasons for that success was the play of sophomore Donta Harper.
Today, he was named the Big South Conference Player of the Week.
Harper averaged 16 points and 7 rebounds last week as the Runnin' Bulldogs beat UNC Asheville and Coastal Carolina.
In the Asheville game, Harper almost delivered a double double as he came up with 16 points and 9 rebounds in a 67-65 win.
In the Coastal game, the sophomore led the team in scoring with 17 points in a 70-63 win.
For the season, Harper is averaging 13 points per game. Last season as a true freshman he played in all 32 games and averaged 5 points per game. This year, he has started in all 27 games for Coach Chris Holtmann.
Gardner-Webb is 16-11 overall and 8-5 in Big South Conference play heading into this week when they will host rival Winthrop on Tuesday and will be at the College of Charleston on Saturday in a non conference battle.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Shelby
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Woman warns people to double check their health insurance enrollment
- Two women charged with stealing mail in eastern Lincoln County
- Lincoln Co. Lieutenant named “Employee of the Year”
- Investigators find 22nd meth lab of year in Lincoln Co.
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail