The latest education debate: Is college necessary? | News
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- A college education was once regarded as a first-class ticket to a better life.
For others it may or may not be the answer.
With college tuition rising, mounting student loans and an uncertain job market… many are left to question whether getting a degree is really worth the cost.
"A lot of college students who go to college for four whole years and end up not having a job or not becoming successful," says college student Kalin Johnson.
While it can be expensive for someone like Kalin to attend college, she's not sweating the cost, but the value.
"Everybody needs an education," says Kalin.
And local college professors agree it's risky to not get a formal education.
"There is certainly a lot more opportunities of a different nature that open up to students that a two, four year degree or beyond background in a college discipline," says Denise Dwight Smith Director University Career Center at UNCC.
Risky? Perhaps. But it worked for the founders of Facebook, Twitter, and a Apple.
"You can say that too when you look at professional athletes," says Dwight.
"How many people are really great at sports but only very few really make it."
Realistically says Dwight Smith not everyone who quits college ends up like Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg.
Mrs. Dwight Smith also pointed out that if it wasn't for Zuckerberg attending college he would have never thought to create Facebook.
She also mentioned that unemployment rates for young adults have spiked, but college graduates maintain an advantage.
Seven percent of young adults with bachelor's degrees were unemployed this October, as opposed to 20.2 percent of high school graduates with no college experience.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Shelby
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Woman found dead in wrecked vehicle in Gaston Co.
- Police say chop shop for Honda cars found in Gaston Co. home
- Gastonia officer involved in shooting during traffic stop of stolen vehicle
- Gaston Co. 911 dispatcher helps woman deliver grandchild
- Officials: 19-year-old killed, 4 injured in Gaston Co. wreck
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend