Train hits tractor trailer in Kings Mountain | News
KINGS MOUNTAIN, NC (WBTV)-
Investigators in Kings Mountain have temporarily blocked the railroad crossing after a train collided with a truck hauling cotton early Friday morning.
According to Kings Mountain police, the collision happened along Parkdale Mills crossing in Kings Mountain before 8 a.m.
A witness to the collision told WBTV that the truck was stuck on the track and hit by the train, cutting the truck in half.
"The train went straight through, there's a loud boom. It sounded like an explosion, the powder stuff flew everywhere," said Kassie Lamphier.
Police told WBTV the truck was traveling towards S. Battleground Avenue on Oak Street when it became lodged on the tracks.
Video from the scene shows the train is a Norfolk Southern freight train hauling double-stacked containers. The tractor trailer was carrying cotton bales, which were scattered across the scene during the collision.
Cell phone video provided to WBTV shows the train hitting the truck. The occupants of the truck were able to escape the vehicle before it was struck by the train.
No injuries have been reported. The truck driver has been charged with crossing the tracks illegally.
The city placed concrete barriers at the scene today to block the crossing. The city will hold a public hearing in the upcoming weeks to determine if the crossing will be shut down for good.
This is the second train incident in Kings Mountain this week. A Kings Mountain man was killed Monday morning when he was hit by a train near downtown.
Christopher Lynn Wright, of Church Street, was hit by a freight train near the intersection of King Street and S. Battleground Avenue as he was walking along the tracks.
Nearly two months ago, another tractor trailer was struck by a train after it tried to cross the tracks illegally.
The incident happened along Oak Street along South Battleground and South Railroad Avenue as the truck was trying to cross at a crossing where tractor trailers are prohibited from crossing.
The driver, Michael Wilson, bailed out of the truck just before the train hit it, witnesses said. Police fined him $500 for crossing illegally.
In February, an Amtrak hit a man when he was walking near the tracks near Baker Street. He suffered injuries to his hands.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Shelby
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Dad: Son, 5, issued suspension for making 'gun gesture' with hand
- Police: Woman found dead in wrecked vehicle in Gaston Co.
- Police say chop shop for Honda cars found in Gaston Co. home
- Gastonia officer involved in shooting during traffic stop of stolen vehicle
- Gaston Co. 911 dispatcher helps woman deliver grandchild
- Lincoln Co. Lieutenant named “Employee of the Year”
- Investigators find 22nd meth lab of year in Lincoln Co.
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"