“No Need 2 Speed” campaign underway in NC | Crime
RALEIGH –The Governor’s Highway Safety Program Director Becky Wallace along with N.C. State Highway Patrol Lt. Col. Wellington Scott and Richmond County Sheriff James Clemmons, Jr. kicked off the “No Need 2 Speed” Campaign today at the Rockingham Speedway.
During the week-long campaign, which lasts today through Sunday, April 8, local and state law enforcement agencies will conduct stepped up patrols and enforcement to cite speeders and other traffic law violators on North Carolina’s highways.
“Speeding can be deadly,” said GHSP Director Becky Wallace. “In North Carolina last year, there were 428 speed-related fatalities and 412 of those fatalities were unbelted. Our partnerships with law enforcement to strictly enforce North Carolina speed limits are crucial to keeping our highways safe.”
Officers will focus their efforts on all roads, including interstates, major highways, rural two-lane roads and city streets across the state. During the “No Need 2 Speed” campaign in March 2011, state and local law enforcement agencies cited 12,476 motorists for speeding.
Dangerous driving can be reported to local law enforcement by dialing 911 from anywhere in the state. For more information on “No Need 2 Speed”, go to the Governor's Highway Safety Program website.
Upcoming Events near Shelby
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Woman found dead in wrecked vehicle in Gaston Co.
- Police say chop shop for Honda cars found in Gaston Co. home
- Gastonia officer involved in shooting during traffic stop of stolen vehicle
- Gaston Co. 911 dispatcher helps woman deliver grandchild
- Officials: 19-year-old killed, 4 injured in Gaston Co. wreck
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend